Streetsville is the community between the #403 highway in the south and Britannia Rd to the north, but its heart is along Queen Street (Mississauga Rd). The area has significant industrial lands that line both sides of the 401, providig significant employment for residents. The community is also served by Credit Valley Hospital. The area's commuters are also served by the Streetsville GO Station.
Streetsville is named for Timothy Street, who was a crown surveyor and was paid with a substantial land grant, on which he established several industries on the banks of the Credit. His 1825 house at 41 Mill Street, is the first brick house constructed in Peel County, at the site of his former mills. Water was a key power source in the early years, used to operate grist, saw, carding, and planning mills. The city became a key manufacturer of woolen goods, but was bypassed by 1850s railway development which lead to Brampton becoming the county seat. The 1879 Credit Valley Railway connecting to Toronto led to a resurgence in the community. Today, Streetsville has the highest concentration of heritage buildings in Mississauga. It became a town in 1962 and amalgamated with the City of Mississauga in 1974.
There are 33 elementary schools, 4 secondary schools, 3 private/religious schools in this community, as well as 3 libraries. It is a short commute from the University of Toronto in Mississauga to the south, and Sheridan College in Brampton to the north.
The community has a vibrant shopping district along Queen Street (Mississauga Rd). In the east is the Erin Mills Town Centre, and to the east is the Heartland Centre, with its "big box" stores, as well as a number of smaller malls along Eglington Avenue.
The community is bisected by the Credit River, now bounded on both sides by parkland, and many sections having recreation pathways as well. To the east is the Hershey Centre, home to hockey, trade shows, and rock concerts. There are three golf courses in this neighbourhood, as well.