Mississauga-Brampton Ontario History - To Confederation
After the French were defeated in North America, and more so after the American Revolution forced United Empire Loyalists north, the British began to settle in the fertile agricultural land of the Credit River valley. The first purchase of land took place in 1805 with an agreement between the Crown and the Mississauga Ojibway, the native people who lived in this area. For 1,000 pounds plus various household items the Crown purchased 70,784 acres of land which stretched from the Etobicoke Creek west to Burlington Bay, and north from Lake Ontario to about present-day Eglinton Avenue in the City of Mississauga. This was followed in 1818 for another 648,000 acres included the rest of present-day Peel. By this time the Mississaugas changed from a hunting and gathering lifestyle to a settled, agricultural one, and by 1847, the Mississaugas moved to a reserve in the Grand River Valley, near present-day Hagersville.
Port Credit's first permanent structure was the Government Inn on 1798, on the east bank of the River, serving as a way station for travelers . Timothy Street, then a resident of Niagara Township, surveyed the 1818 acquisition and in return was granted 1,000 acres of land in the new township. In 1824 this area became known as Streetsville, concentrated around five major mill sites along a five mile mile stretch of the fast flowing Credit.
1819 Chinguacousy Township is surveyed and by 1820 the first settlers arrive in the Brampton area. In 1834, Mr. John Elliott applies the name Brampton to the land Brampton has always been centered around the intersection of Queen and Main Streets, with a pair of taverns, and later became known as the "four corners". Etobicoke Creek flowing through Brampton was slow moving and meandering and could never sustain large scale milling operations.
The County of Peel was formed in 1849 as an upper-tier government, by grouping together some of the townships surveyed further to these original two purchases (Toronto Township, Toronto Gore, Chinguacousy, Caledon and Albion).
The Grand Trunk Railway constructed a rail line and a station in Brampton in 1856, bypassing Streetsville and making (in 1867) Brampton the county seat. The arrival of the railway line triggered an economic boom in Brampton. Brampton gained The County Courthouse, Jail and other public buildings.