Mississauga-Brampton Hospitals and Clinics
This section will discuss issues relating to hospitals and private clinics. It will also cover some emergency treatment issues.
Ontario Hospital Insurance Plan (OHIP)
Ontario residents are eligible for provincially funded health coverage (OHIP), though to
be eligible for Ontario health coverage you must:
- Be a Canadian citizen or have legal immigrant status
- Make your permanent and principal home in Ontario
- Be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12 month period
OHIP coverage normally becomes effective three months after the date you
establish residency in Ontario. If you are moving within Canada, your previous
province's health coverage may cover you for this period.
The government strongly encourages new and returning residents to purchase private
health insurance in case you become ill during the OHIP waiting period.
TO apply for OHIP coverage, provide three pieces of ID to confirm address, signature and citizenship/status.
For information, contact an Toronto OHIP Office (8:30 am to 5:00 pm) or call Service Ontario at 416-326-1234 (Toll-free: 1-800-267-8097).
Mississauga OHIP Office (8:30 am to 5:00 pm)
201 City Centre Drive
Suites 210 & 300
(across from Square One)
- First Aid Topics (EMS Australia)
- First Aid Topics (Healthy.net)
- First Aid Tips - St John Ambulance - Halton Hills
- Food Safety Tips (CFIA)
- Safety Tips - Tpronto EMS
- Human Anatomy On-line (InnerBody.com)
- Internet Drug Index (pharmaceutical) and side-effects
- Search & Rescue Guide (Emergency Response Insititute Canada Inc)
- How to Prevent or Respond to a Snake Bite (CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Preparedness & REsponse for All Hazards (CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Bioterrorism Anthrax, plague, smallpox...
- Chemical Emergencies Ricin, chlorine, nerve agents...
- Radiation Emergencies Dirty bombs, nuclear blasts, acute radiation syndrome...
- Mass Casualties Explosions, blasts, injuries...
- Natural Disasters & Severe Weather Hurricanes, wildfires, winter weather...
- Recent Outbreaks & Incidents Earthquakes, Salmonella, melamine...